Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Today, I reached a milestone.  A milestone for survivors that is significant. 5 years without hearing the words again, "you have cancer".  After a few days into my diagnosis, I started to understand the 5 year mark, re-occurance rates and the oh-so-scary survival rates of young adult cancer.  I had hoped that I would be gifted 5 more years of my life, but knew that there was no guarantee and knew that life as I knew it, would never be the same.  It was a milestone that I hoped to reach, beyond anything that is imaginable.  But there were many months and many obstacles during my year of treatment that I just didn't know the outcome of my diagnosis and treatment.  I honor the 32 year old that had hope and was graceful, embraced and loved every moment of the journey and had the courage to see the treatment through.  

Luckily, within the last 2 years I have let go and don't live in fear anymore. However, today, I honor the many years that were really un-settling because of the unknown.  


Why are the first 5 years of survivorship such a big deal?  It's all about statistics.  With the first 5 years, is the highest risk of reoccurrence.   But breast cancer is the gift that keeps giving, it can recur even after 5 years but the important point to know is that the more time passes, the lower the risk of reoccurrence becomes.  

Cancer played the role it was supposed to in my life and my everyday is more because of it.  I have said many time before; when I look back I can't even believe what my body and mind endured.  The sickness was nothing like I could have ever imagined could happen.  Add to that the many years interrupted in my early 30's and  the sadness and heartbreak for my family, the one one's that were close enough to see me at my weakest.  Taking all of those minutes, hours, day and weeks into consideration, I wouldn't want any part of my life to be any different than it has been and is.   

It is a beautiful gift to know what one is capable of overcoming.  Once you know it, the faith can be quietly kept that one can do anything.  I am celebrating my survival, my 5 more years and the surprising gifts of cancer. Today was so special, yet so normal which is so very perfect! 

Cheers to another 5 years of healthy!
Much love to my family and closest friends who have been part of my journey all along the way! I would not be this healthy without you.  XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment