Thursday, April 24, 2014

Love my Ovaries!

I will start with what I know for sure and then get into some details.  Surgery, Laparoscopy Ovarian Cystectomy is scheduled for May 19th.  They will find out at that time exactly what the 3cm cyst is in my left ovary but they are pretty confident it is a Dermoid Cyst which are usually always benign.  Phew!  I know, pop the champs, right?  
 
A dermoid cyst is an abnormal growth, usually present since birth.  It contains lots of yucky things and has to be removed.  The doctors were shocked I haven't been in any pain, and of coarse, this week I have had pain in my abdomen throughout the day.  

As for the right ovary, there are 3 follicular cysts that are totally normal and zero concern.  Follicular cysts (you know I'm not a doc) are follicles that don't rupture and produce eggs, rather continue to grow. 

Love Dr. Heaps, the gynecological oncologist at UCLA.  He will be performing surgery, he is direct, one of the best doctors around (so I hear) and what I can tell cautious.  He wants to wait a couple of weeks before surgery, to do another ultrasound to see the mass.  Just to make sure we are making the right decision.  I got a second opinion yesterday from my oncologist and he agrees with the treatment.

The great news.... as of now, no indication that Tamoxofin has anything to do with all of this. So, yes, I am still popping that terrible pill each night.  

All is well and healthy in the lady parts, which I couldn't be any happier about.  I will pick up where I left off with the fertility dr. in a few months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment